Royal Distributing - www.royaldistributing.com Toronto International Snowmobile, ATV & Powersports Show - www.torontosnowmobileshows.com on the Web... with Schilly - www.webwithschilly.com Your Ad Here!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1971 Moto Ski Mini Sno R-Code Factory 340 Hirth Restoration

Hi there this is my first time posting, I am a new member so please bare with me. I would like to post some pictures of a very rare little race sled that I am restoring. I picked this sled up in Thunder Bay ON. About three years ago knowing exactly what it was. The identification number reads IFR3H which breaks down to:
    I=1971,
    F=Mini Sno,
    R=Racer,
    3=340ccm,
    H=Hirth,
    Approximately as few as fifty sleds were produced, only 4 sleds have been listed on www.motoskisnowmobiles.com and i have been told that only a couple more are left out there. I have seen pictures of these sleds lined up ready to race at Woodbine Race Track in Toronto ON. The R-Code Mini Sno's have about 20 more horse power then the standard 1970/1971 Mini Sno's which sport a small 225ccm Jlo Rockwell motor. I would be interested in knowing as much info as possible on these little demons. Also looking and willing to pay top dollar for any N.O.S. Mini Sno parts. I will be sure to post more pics as restoration progresses. Thanks for a great site.

Jason Phillips
    Greenbank ON.
    phillipspetroleum@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

MiniSno R-sled

Wow on having one of the MiniSno R-sleds!
    I know the MiniSnos lined up racing pic you're referring to and always thought it may be mistakenly labeled as it sure looks like Peterboro'?

~ {;o)

1971 Moto Ski Mini Sno R-Code Factory 340 hirth restoration

Thank you very much, I got very lucky finding this machine on Kijiji and having my parents coming back from Saskatoon with a 1964 ford Galaxie 500 XL on the car trailer and an empty pick up truck bed and them being one hour from Thunder Bay ON. It worked out for me (free shipping).

The photo does resemble Peterborough a lot now that you mentioned it. I'll try and post that picture later, maybe someone can verify it for us.

Do you know of any other R-Code Mini Sno's? Have you seen any? I have heard a rumor of a collector out in western Canada (Calgary) that may have six or seven, but haven't seen any of them. I had somebody contact me last year from Vermont area, asking if I wanted to purchase a rusty old R-Code carcass that had the V.I.N. Still intact but he wanted $1,000.00 U.S. I offered to by the V.I.N. But he refused, I don't blame him.

Jason Phillips
    Greenbank ON.

Had a regular Mini sno as a kid cool little sled.Some body on Kijiji's been looking for 1 of these 340s for a couple of years now. Great find.

Gord

MotoSki MiniSnos

I've never seen a real MiniSno R-sled, they're more rare than a '71 Bullet!
    Here's a try at the MiniSno race picture below, sorry if it doesn't work.
    As a side note, the Peterboro' Grandstands are slated for demolition within the next few months.

~ {;o)
    Last edited by SuperMod; 01-11-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Nice find, I never heard of one before. Many years ago a local guy had a Mini Sno with a 399 twin in it.
    Vintage Riders
    1965 Ski-doo Olympique
    1969 Ski-doo Olympic 12/3
    1970 Ski-doo Olympic 12/3 with Wunder Wheels kit
    1972 Ski-doo T'NT 775

Previous Projects
    1970 Ski-doo Blizzard 776
    1972 Ski-doo T'NT 340
    1972 Ski-doo T'NT 400
    1972 Ski-doo T'NT 640 (2)
    1972 Ski-doo Blizzard 395

Current Projects
    1970 Ski-doo Blizzard 640
    1971 Ski-doo Olympique 335
    1970 Ski-doo 12/3

1971 Moto Ski Mini Sno R-Code Factory 340 hirth restoration

Just would like to post some more pictures of the Mini Sno R-code. Should get the chassis back from the paint shop this week.

Jason Phillips
    Greenbank ON.

Who is doing the sandblasting? My local guy closed down.
    Vintage Riders
    1965 Ski-doo Olympique
    1969 Ski-doo Olympic 12/3
    1970 Ski-doo Olympic 12/3 with Wunder Wheels kit
    1972 Ski-doo T'NT 775

Previous Projects
    1970 Ski-doo Blizzard 776
    1972 Ski-doo T'NT 340
    1972 Ski-doo T'NT 400
    1972 Ski-doo T'NT 640 (2)
    1972 Ski-doo Blizzard 395

Current Projects
    1970 Ski-doo Blizzard 640
    1971 Ski-doo Olympique 335
    1970 Ski-doo 12/3

[QUOTE=SuperMod;36604]I've never seen a real MiniSno R-sled, they're more rare than a '71 Bullet!
    Here's a try at the MiniSno race picture below, sorry if it doesn't work.
    As a side note, the Peterboro' Grandstands are slated for demolition within the next few months.

Neat picture, however none of these sleds are R codes, they are all 1970 223cc powered sleds. The R codes were only in 1971 and you can tell these are 1970's as they have an aluminum strip instead of a steel rectangular tube front bumper. In 1971 my local Moto Ski dealer had an R code Mini Sno in his showroom. No idea what happened to it.
    Last edited by 750-h2; 01-22-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Cool

I'm the Moto-Ski collector from Calgary, and yes I have a number of Mini-Snos as part of my collection.
    I do not have an R coded one though. I also know another collector out of BC with a large number in his collection but no "R" coded ones.
    The Mini-Sno came with engines right up to 340CC and would really go.
    There is no mention of any differences in all of the manuals, so it would be interesting to know exactly what the real difference was in the"R" sled and engine as compared to the Std model.
    Nice one to include in any collection, look forward to seeing pictureswhen you're all done.